15g dried wakame seaweed
150g buckwheat noodles
100g small courgettes
10g toasted sesame seeds
For the dressing
2cm knob of ginger, peeled and grated
2 tbs mirin
1½ tbs tamari
½ tbs Japanese rice vinegar
1 tbs toasted sesame oil
1) Place dried seaweed in a bowl of cold water to rehydrate, as per packet instructions.
2) Cook the noodles according to packet instructions until tender but with a slight bite. Drain and immediately run them under cold water to cool down. Drain thoroughy, then tip noodles into a large bowl.
3) Peel the carrots and slice into thin matchsticks. Do the same with the courgettes (unpeeled). Add to the noodles.
4) When the seaweed has plumped up and become fleshy, drain it well and squeeze out excess water with your hands. Pick through it, discarding any tough stalks if necessary. Chop the seaweed roughly and add to the noodles and veg.
5) Make the dressing – mix together all the ingredients. Pour this over the noodles and toss so everything is coated and the ingredients are evenly distributed.