Rush Group has recently started dealing with avocados, in particular exporting South African avocados to Malaysia and Singapore. South East Asia’s appetite for avocados is growing year on year, probably due to its health properties, along with the fact that they use the fruit in both savoury and sweet dishes.
The health properties of avocados are multiple, but here is the top 10:
(10 Healthy brain: Avocados combine brain healthy omega-3 fatty acids with natural vitamin E, which has been clinically proven to prevent Alzheimer’s disease from progressing and even reversing it in its earliest stages.
(2) Healthy heart: Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fats that boost heart health and help lower blood pressure. Avocado monounsaturated fats contain the phytonutrient beta-sitosterol, which was clinically proven to lower LDL and triglyceride blood levels while raising HDL.
(3) Pregnancy: Folic acid is commonly recommended for pregnant women to help the foetus develop its brain and other vital organs. But some health experts consider synthetically extracted folic acid a problem. They recommend using natural folate for its folic acid content instead.
(4) Eye health: Avocado contains the carotenoid leutein, an antioxidant that specializes with protecting the eyes from oxidative stress damage leading to poor vision, cataracts, and macular degeneration.
(5) Blood pressure: The combination of avocado’s high potassium content, 30 percent more than banana, with omega-3 and oleic acid are beneficial toward reducing blood pressure.
(6) Blood sugar: Avocado’s monounsaturated fats can prevent or reverse insulin resistance, a source of type 2 diabetes. The high soluble fibre of avocado helps prevent blood sugar spikes.
(7) Anti-inflammatory: Inflammation is considered the basis of most non-contagious diseases. Avocados have an abundance of plant phytonutrient polyphenols and flavonoids, which have been discovered as anti-inflammatory agents.
(8) Anti-aging: The master antioxidant glutathione supports the liver and the nervous system. It is responsible for replenishing and recycling other antioxidants in the body. It is vital for a strong immune system, and avocado is one of the few foods that contain a considerable amount of glutathione.
(9) Digestion: Nutrients and enzymes in avocado reduce inflammation in the stomach and small intestine’s mucous lining. This also improves the body’s ability to absorb carotenoids and nutrients.
A study’s participants who ate salads with avocados absorbed five times the amount of carotenoids than those who did not include avocados. Carotenoids include beta carotene and lycopene. Beta carotene is a precursor to vitamin A, and lycopene is a compound that reduces stroke and prostate cancer risks.
(10) Cancer: Avocados can help protect against prostate and breast cancers.
Avocados are grown in many parts of the world, with main countries being: Peru, Chile, Mexico, Australia, Israel, Australia and South Africa. Due to Rush Group’s personal connections, the Group imports a lot of their avocados from South Africa, which also has the added benefit of the fruit being ready for harvest when other harvests have finished.
The main varieties that Rush Group deal in are Haas and Fuerte, both delicious and as equally healthy; though it is easier to spot when a Hass avocado is ripe, as its skin turns from light green to black.
Rush Group is working on a ‘ripe’n’ready’ range of avocados to overcome the common criticism that avocados are never ripe when you buy them, and go from raw to slime overnight.
Rush Group forecast an ever-increasing demand for avocados in SE Asia, as well as a burgeoning market in Dubai.
If you are looking for a reliable supply of avocados 52 weeks of the year, at the right price and quality, please contact Andrew Chance today.